jueves, 14 de mayo de 2020

5A/B English Review - Present Simple and Present Continuous

Hello Fifth Grade,

I hope you are enjoying being outside a bit more during the quarantine! Be positive and remember to study your English!

I will be reviewing the present simple and the present continuous verb tenses in English today! Please take notes in your notebook if you want to remember this later!

What is the difference between present simple and present continuous?

The present simple is for verbs that are done regularly but not right now. It is used with adverbs of frequency such as always, sometimes, never, often, usually, frequently, etc.

Ex: I study English every day.   /     My mum never eats meat.

The present continuous is for verbs that you are in the process of doing RIGHT NOW.

Ex: I am studying English now.    /     My mum is eating a biscuit.



Do you see the difference?   "I study English every day." is a fact (hecho) and it does NOT mean you are doing it right now.

Ex: I study English every day, but now I am eating breakfast.


Watch this fun, short video about Peter. What is he doing now?


The present continuous tense is what you are doing right now. It uses a form of "to be" (ser) PLUS the verb ending in "+ing".

SUBJECT          +                  am/is/are              +                 verb+ing                 +           predicate

You                                              are                                   learning                             English in school.

I                                                   am                                   watching                                TV now.

Mr. Smith                                     is                                      riding                                 his bicycle. 


Watch and PLAY this game show and decide if the verbs are in present simple or present continuous. 




I hope you enjoyed this lesson and took notes! I will post more videos soon!


-Michael